Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pop Culture and Contemporary Icons

Assignment 2-1: Icon Analysis

We see or hear about popular culture icons everywhere today: in the media, on television, the radio, in stores, even our place of employment. Three icons that stick out for me are Marilyn Monroe, Apple, and the reality-show Duck Dynasty. Marilyn Monroe was a well-known actress of the 1950s and 1960s, who has gained and retained her popularity even after her death. Apple Inc. is the company name and brand for a multitude of popular computer software and hardware. Duck Dynasty is a current-day, reality television show revolving around duck hunting, and has become quite popular among hillbillies, blue-collar and wealthy people all over the United States.


Marilyn Monroe signifies a person that is idolized and revered. I chose her because even after her death in 1962, and her short career as an actress and model, she continues to find her way into popular media and images. Even actresses today strive to be like her, both by lifestyle and looks.  Today's society tends to place Marilyn on a pedestal as if she were a modern day Greek Goddess. She was beautiful, classy, glamorous, and yet had a 'bad-girl' side to her that many modern woman identifies with. She stands for glamour, rebelliousness and living your life to the fullest.

Apple Inc. is not only a big deal  in the information technology industry, but also in "everyday-Joe" technology. Who hasn't heard of an iPad or iPod? How about iTunes? Apple has produced some of the largest mainstream technologies of today. When I go to the electronics store and I see the Apple logo, I know the product is of high quality and is extremely user friendly. I know the applications Apple releases are relevant and needed. The Apple logo not only means high quality, but success. If I'm at a job and I have an Apple Macintosh computer, an iPad and maybe listening to my iTunes while I work, then I have the ability to be successful! I have typically been a Microsoft gal, but Apple is so innovative, it is hard not to appreciate them and place them on a pedestal.


The television show Duck Dynasty has become quite the popular icon among many viewers, no matter your station in life. Take a family of football-playing, duck-hunting men with grizzly beards and hillbilly antics, and put them in front of an audience--this means hours of entertainment for that audience. Viewers are revering these men for not only their country-fied abilities in hunting and making duck calls, but also for their sense of family and God. Duck Dynasty embodies the American Dream in my opinion. No matter who or where you are, you can be successful, love your family and have a deep sense of faith. Not to mention, these fellows are mighty amusing!

4 comments:

  1. You have picked three very recognizable icons to write about. Everybody around the world knows about the first two. Although I have never watched Duck Dynasty I have most certainly heard many people talk about. I think I'll have to check it out to see what everyone likes so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that you chose Marilyn Monroe, I agree about how she still has been a role model even after her death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog About icons is so well written! You did a very nice job and i enjoyed reading it. i agree with you on all three of your icons good choices. Marilyn is a ageless icon who still finds new found friends even after all these years. Apple is a brand everyone knows even if they do not understand its processor. Duck Dynasty even not having cable in my house i have heard of it so good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good blog! I greatly enjoyed the layout and your choices. Apple is the stand out for me personally. You cannot go anywhere on civilized Earth where the Apple brand is not known. When I travel, it is easier for them to know Iphone than to say cell phone.

    ReplyDelete